Do people underestimate you?
I’ve been on this road trip for the past 81 days.
When I started this journey, I committed to connecting with as many people as possible. As a result, I’ve surfed over 20 couches, I’ve shared coffee with countless people and I’ve been introduced to a ridiculous number of new contacts.
All of this has made me very aware of the way people receive me, and of the type of energy I’m putting out there, especially upon first meeting someone.
And what I’ve realized is that people underestimate me.
I’m embarrassed to admit this, but several people I’ve met over the past 81 days have told me that their first impression of me was much different than the person they now know me to be (maybe it was the teddy bear?).
Here is some of what they saw upon first meeting me:
A very nice young woman (they usually think I’m WAY younger – or WAY older – than I am) on a road trip with no plan and no destination.
A lost person that has no home.
Someone whose obviously been misguided in her life to end up homeless and living out of her car.
Someone that’s confused, scared and lonely, and that doesn’t know what she’s looking for in life.
Someone that’s very nice, but that doesn’t have much going on in her own life.
But here’s the truth:
I’m kind of a badass.
And you know what? As much as I’m ready and willing to own all the tough shit in my life, I want to own THAT shit as well.
So, in honor of… the month of October???… I’m going to list 5 reasons I’m a badass – and then, I want you to do the same in the comments below.
Alright, here it goes:
- When I was 16, I decided I wanted to join the military. They told me “no” because I had a heart condition. So what did I do? I got heart surgery and fought to be accepted into a Federal Service Academy. This past year, I was honorably discharged from the U.S. Navy as a Lieutenant.
- I’m in the Merchant Marine and hold an Unlimited Tonnage United States Coast Guard License, which means that I can sail as a Third Mate on ANY ship in the entire world.
- For fun, I model. I used to be part of a modeling agency in NY, and I once appeared on the cover of a calendar (the photo at the top of this blog post was the cover photo).
- For a year, I owned a bakery. It was called “Snooty Pies,” and we specialized in gourmet miniature pies. The highlight of my baking experience was catering the launch party for the television show, “Mustache Wars” in NYC. Epic.
- Um, I’m on a road trip. Alone. Driving around the United States. Enough said.
Wow. Shit. Why do I let people underestimate me?
I need to OWN all the badass stuff I’ve done, and be confident when I meet new people.
We teach people how to treat us: People underestimate me because I underestimate me!
Do you let people underestimate YOU?
If I’m being honest, I can list about 10 more reasons I’m a total badass!!!!
What classifies something as “BADASS?”
Well, badass is subjective. Basically, any experience that pushed you – that forced you out of your comfort zone and challenged you to grow in ways you never thought possible. This can be anything from joining the military to trying sushi for the first time.
So now it’s your turn. Tell me: Why are YOU a badass?
List 5 of your own BADASS experiences in the comments below.
You have permission to talk yourself up! Before you meet someone new, read over this list and approach the interaction with confidence.
Let’s all own our shit – the “bad” and the “badass.”
Peace + Calm + Gratitude,
Photo Credit: Chas Kimbrell